Spring is the perfect time to clean your gutters! They must be cleared of any debris that accumulated over the past several months. By checking this task off your to-do list, you’ll prevent overflow and avoid damage to your property.
Duration: 2 hours
Level of difficulty: Medium
1. Make sure your ladder is high enough to access the gutters without having to be on your tiptoes, then grab a heavy-duty paper bag. If the gutters are not easily accessible, or if there are factors that make the task dangerous, call specialists.
2. Wear construction gloves to remove leaves and debris from your gutters.
3. Dispose of the rubbish in a compostable bag, if possible. It can then go to a designated facility rather than a landfill.
4. Make sure you move your ladder as you carry out the task.
5. Lower the filled bags to the ground and put them out for composting.
6. Climb back up the ladder with a bucket of water or a garden hose to wash out the remaining dirt. Use as little water as possible and a cloth to remove excess muck.
Photo: Getty Images/Fotografixx